Saturday, June 27, 2009

Super hit hai..

Finally, I would like to say that (with a big grin on my face) the droughts of films are over and for the rest of the year to come, we can expect some blockbusters in store for hungry audiences like you and me begining with the release of much anticipated movie “New York”. By the time this article comes online for your reading I am pretty much sure I would have seen the movie in a movie hall after a good three month sabbatical. And once again we can expect pack houses and of course smell the popcorns, Pepsi and the Mumbaikar’s very own Samosa.

What I want to share with you all this time is how Bollywood can go all the way to describe their films as “hit” even when they are not even worth a dekho. I would like to share an incident with you all which I encountered few months back when I went to see a particular movie coming from a big production house and directed by well known bollywood personality. This is how it goes.

When I went to a cinema few months back with couple of friends, we were expecting decent crowd in the hall since it was a movie coming out of a big production house. When we were finally inside the hall, the head count was six. And the best part, by evening the producers were claiming the film was a hit. Out of curiosity, I called few of my first day first show friends, and they all reported seeing the film in almost empty halls. So the funniest and saddest part of news is that the makers and actors were throwing success parties, and posing for photographers with big grins and thumbs-up gestures.

I have particularly notice that now a days hardly anyone from the industry declares their film as ‘flopped’- even when the box office collections have come in and going by the general public verdict which is not in the film’s favor. The current trend of films coming out of big corporate houses also ensures that film would at least not make serious losses like previously which the films used to make as the corporate have the muscle for promotions and other marketing strategies.

Immediately after the film is released, there are big posters declaring it as a ‘super hit’ appear all over. Industry insiders say that the posters are ready even before the films are released, so the possibility of film not succeeding is not even entertained by the producers.

This could only mean that they are either overly optimistic about their product, delusional or naïve and perhaps also believes that if a lie shouted well enough, people would believe it as a truth. And so often it is. I also believe that bigger the star, bigger will be there belief that the film could never flop.

They will be up to all kind of underhand tricks and price-cutting to bag projects and oust their rivals, but will look at the world in the eye and say innocently. “I was the only one offered the role, I didn’t know some one else was even in the consideration.” And since last year, the trend of affairs and relationships between the actors in the in the film in their ‘real’ world has been increasing. And when questioned, will say media put it up.

All hell breaks lose when the film flops. They will resort to all kinds of printing fake documents to prove that their film was universally accepted and will even throw a success party (even Drona, if people even remembered it now, had a party to celebrate its success). Everyone accept the film makers knew the fate of the Bachachan Jr starrer movie. And if the ‘success party’ mantra is not enough, they will come up with something as bizarre as film being ahead of its time (Film: Aparichit), or was released at wrong time or in a wrong week or not promoted well enough.

Who knows how many are fooled, but they can’t be blamed for not trying. If only so much creative thinking went into their films.


Frankly speaking guys, I am really enjoying myself blogging because of which I have started reading a lot which would definitely help me to come up with something new all the time and not lose that novelty in writing articles. Its a good way to kill time too and what better way to improve your vocabulary as reading takes to you to level, which we wouldn't have reached normal way.

So, I would recommend all my friends to start blogging, if not blogging, then at least start reading. It really helps.

Till my next post,

Happy reading, Happy blogging

Signing off,


Dhaval D.



1 comment: